1st cru classé
For several generations, Château Rieussec has been a leading name in Sauternes wines. As early as 1868, Charles Cocks remarked that “Beyond any of the others, Rieussec produces wines that are very similar to Yquem wines”.
- Grape varieties:
- Sémillon 90 - 95%, Muscadelle and Sauvignon 5-10%.
- Length of ageing in oak barrels:
- 18 to 26 months depending on the year, including 55% in new barrels.
- Average annual production:
- Varies a great deal depending on the vintage, but on average is 6,000 cases per year (but no production in 1993 and low production in 2000 with just 3,000 cases).
The Chef's recipes
- Château Rieussec accompanied by chestnut soufflé
- Château Rieussec accompanied by souflee omelette with lemon
- Château Rieussec and crispy foie gras with pineapple
- Château Rieussec and three christmas chocolates
- Château Rieussec accompanied by lobster and turnips with citrus flavours
- Château Rieussec poached pears with spices
- Château Rieussec shoulder of veal braised with orange and star-anise
- All recipes