Château Peyre-Lebade veils a rich historical heritage, marked by several famous individuals. The limestone-rich geology of the site certainly influenced the name of the property, since Peyre-Lebade means “Raised-Rock” (pierre levée). Indeed, the site features a former limestone quarry, which was probably used in building the neighbouring villages. The first traces of viticulture on the site date back to the Cistercien monks of the Vertheuil Abbey in the 12th century. Several centuries later, in 1835, Bertrand Redon, who was Odilon Redon’s father, purchased the Peyre-Lebade estate.
The great painter Odilon Redon lived and painted most of his most famous paintings at this estate. His work reflects the site’s charm, as well as his attachment to the family property. By 1979, the property had fallen into neglect, and was acquired by Baron Edmond de Rothschild, who was already the owner of the neighbouring vineyards of Château Clarke in Listrac and Château Malmaison at Moulis.
As of that date, Château Peyre-Lebade would undergo great changes in cultivation and quality under the direction of Baron Edmond. The vineyards were also drained and then replanted, and the buildings were renovated and completed by new constructions. Château Peyre-Lebade is now an integral part of Baron Benjamin (son of Edmond) de Rothschild’s properties. Domaines Barons de Rothschild (Lafite) handles the marketing of its wines.